Monday, July 2, 2012

the jackman is from oz


I don't love subtitled movies. I feel like "why read when I don't have to." You feel me?

However, I do enjoy movies from other cultures. I do not speak all the languages of these other cultures.

Enter subtitled movies. I watch kind of a lot of them.


And though there are a few Bollywood comedies, many of them leave me crying.

I watched a Hindi film recently which ended in tears. I'm still a bit shaken from it.

And then there was the Chinese film. No tears. But lots of feelings. And very pretty. The music, the background. Etc.


Imagine my surprise when in the middle of this Chinese film, I spy Hugh Jackman. I didn't really spy him. Spying indicates he was hiding and I sluethed him out. He was not hiding. He was playing a relatively main character. This is cool. But not as exciting as what I'm about to tell you. His character was... an Australian man. Made even cooler by the fact that in addition to speaking English well, he sang in Chinese. What!?!?!

You probably already knew that Hugh is Australian. I knew. And I don't know that much. But riddle me this. Why does he always play an American guy? Why does he not bless us with his sweet Aussie drawl? I do not know. But I like it when he talks Aussie.

I like it when anyone talks Aussie.


Even fake Aussie.

Throw another shrimp on the barbie.

And the like.


Did you make it all the way to the end of this post without thinking "Paula has failed to share her promised-by-July-1st music video"?

I did.

Sheepish grin.

4 comments:

Brandi Leifker said...

Did you ever meet our friend that looks a lil like hugh jackman?

Sajethegirl said...

Which Hindi movie was it, might I ask? Because I recently had a similar experience. Might I have told you about it?

Unknown said...

1. I love subtitles. I watch them on basically every thing that offers subtitles.
2. I love Australian accents
3. I was wondering the same thing about actors and actresses the other day. Why not just use their own voice I think they would sell more TV/movies by having amazing accents in them.

andpointsbeyond said...

Brandi - You have a friend that looks like Hugh Jackman?!? I'm coming to visit!

Saje - Hmmm... I don't think we've talked Hindi movies in a dog's age. (Is that a phrase?) Water is the movie. I think a woman I worked with recommended it to me, and it's taken me a while to watch it. It was disturbing as it showcased so much of the injustice and disgusting-ness of this world.

Jesseca - You are a woman after my own heart. Give us more accents!!